Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Hula Hooping Through Life

I have decided to make exercise part of my life. My first order of business is quitting the gym. That's right - I quit. How can I really be a fit example for my children when going to the gym means dropping them in the childcare? Instead, I am going to find ways to truly integrate exercise into our routine so we will all enjoy and benefit.

Today was a good start. We took a walk to the playground. The older kids walked and I pushed the little guy and picnic lunch in the double stroller. We took the long cut around the pond and then the kids ran through the field and I pushed the stroller across the grass. Let me tell you, pushing a double stroller across an uncut field is better than any exercise machine I've ever tried! At the play ground I pushed the kids on the swings and did a little swinging myself. Back at home we cranked up the music in the back yard and danced and hula hooped. I'm still a pretty good hooper - and my abs loved the hip shaking!

I think this is going to work! I did a little googling and at 120 pounds here's how many calories I would burn doing the following activities for just 20 minutes, according to the Fitness Partner Connection:
  • Bicycling: 12-13.9 mph, leisure, moderate effort - 145.4
  • Dancing: disco, ballroom, square, line, Irish step, polka - 81.8
  • Frisbee: general - 54.5
  • Rope Jumping: general, moderate - 181.8
  • Swimming: general, leisurely, no laps - 109
  • Walk: 2 mph (30 min/mi) - 45.4
  • Gardening: weeding - 81.8
  • Watering plants, by hand - 45.4
  • Child-care: bathing, feeding, etc. - 54.5
  • Playing w/kids: vigorous effort - 90.9
  • Child games: moderate, hop-scotch, jacks, etc. - 72.7
Compared to the 90-130 calories for the aerobics I used to do, not too shabby! More time with my kids, fitness for the whole family and the same health benefits. I am suddenly really excited about exercise.

I'm off to weed the garden and then gather the troops for a bike ride...

No comments:

Post a Comment