Saturday, October 9, 2010

Light Please Overcome The Shadows

Beautiful Lindsay, my sister's beloved buddy - her soul mate that I never have been. Today we celebrated your life and grieved that this world was only granted the grace of your soul for 28 short years. Although I never knew you well, you have been an always present part of my life - my sister's other sister.

Today the room was adorned with 1,000 cranes - it was gorgeous, a reflection of you - a Chinese symbol of peace. It took many friends a full week to fold the origami birds in your honor. I think back on the 1,000 cranes you folded for my sister's wedding all on your own. The countless hours you must have spent folding the tiny papers in sheer love and dedication to your friend. Such a gift for her. You were such a gift for her.

Now, I will do what I can to fill that void.

Death always casts such a dark shadow, but the illness you suffered leading to this point makes it seem all the more unjust. Lymes Disease. How a tiny tick could lead to such suffering is so hard to understand. It is so misunderstood. More must be done to prevent this pain from others.

I mourn for your parents. The loss they have suffered is more than I can imagine. I was so proud of your Mom today. She is so proud to be your mom. You and Jennie lived too short of lives, but the impression you made in the world while you were here was very clear today.

I believe there is light beyond the shadows and the two of you are basking in it within each other's arms right now. May your souls live on in peace.

For Suz, please lean on me. I will be here for you, I promise.

No comments:

Post a Comment