Sunday, July 11, 2010

Where you tend a rose, my lad, a thistle cannot grow

I just finished a re-read of the classic The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett. Always a pleasant summer read of restoration, love, and the sheer beauty of nature.

The final chapter includes my favorite line "Where you tend a rose, my lad, a thistle cannot grow." There is no better metaphor for relationships and parenting. A good reminder to slow down and nurture those I love - and the garden is the perfect setting.

This year I am simply letting my perennials enjoy the sun and rain while I focus my attention on establishing a new produce garden with the kids and tending to my herb pots, as well as a few other garden expansion projects we're attempting. A few happy shots from our summer home...



No comments:

Post a Comment