Saturday, January 14, 2012

The Bedazzled Pitbull

What do you get when you cross a dance mom with a hockey mom?

For sure something crazy, right?!

Between Sarah Palin's line about pitbulls and lipstick and the "Dance Moms" reality show, neither of my titles carry a very good rep.

And I can't say I am doing much to help the case!

I'm the one in the lobby of the dance studio - still in my high heels from work - brushing one kid's hair while changing another into sports gear, all with a cell phone pressed between ear and shoulder and a Snickers bar (my dinner) in my mouth, before flying out the door 10 minutes late for another event, frantically digging in my purse to find my keys which are probably sitting back on the bench on other side of the studio where I first set them down with my five bags 20 minutes before. And, shoot, I forgot to pay and now there's a line at the desk...

A jumbled run-on? Yes, I know. With a competitive dancer and two hockey players as my kids, that is my reality.

But do you know the really crazy part? I love it! Believe it or not, I - the one who wears only a brush of mascara and owns not a single piece of sparkly attire - have grown quite fond of applying stage makeup, fake hair and rhinestones. And I - the one who hates the cold - now have a wardrobe of fleece blankets and cute hats for the arena. I'm even learning to tie the skates! (Yes, this is a big deal for me!)

Not to say it doesn't take a toll. I certainly do cross the line to seriously crazy sometimes. We have very little down time. And I wish my primary mode of communication with my husband wasn't mobile technology. But it's all so worth it.

I am fed by my kids' energy and feel blessed that they have healthy little bodies that enable them to participate. And I am proud. Incredibly proud. I even wear the oversized buttons with their pictures to prove it.

Just cut me a little slack if you see me at the ice rink in a bedazzled "Dance Mom" shirt. I probably just didn't have time to change.

7 comments:

  1. Hi Jen--Susan from BBTL. I so identify with this. I was team mom, little league mom, little league board of directors, snack shack volunteer (snack shack voluntold), soccer, swimming...

    whew.... enjoy it because they grow up all too soon and these are the memories you're making, Snickers dinner and all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Susan! I wouldn't have it any other way!

      Delete
  2. Hi Jen, this is Sue from the BBTL. Boy it seems like ages ago that I was in your same place with my three kids- how do you find the time to keep a blog going too??? But like Susan just said relish these days because they will be off to college soon enough and on their own.
    I enjoyed post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sue - The blogging is sporadic, but its my "me time"

      Delete
  3. Hi Jen- Nupur from BBTL. I enjoyed your blog and could relate with it so well.

    "Not to say it doesn't take a toll. I certainly do cross the line to seriously crazy sometimes. We have very little down time. And I wish my primary mode of communication with my husband wasn't mobile technology. But it's all so worth it."

    In these lines, you summed up so well.

    I have a nine-year-old daughter who keeps me busy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting, Nupur! Motherhood is amazing how it can drain us and fill us up at once!

      Delete
  4. Thanks for the comments, ladies! When it gets really busy it is helpful to know that so many others can relate!

    ReplyDelete