Thursday, January 12, 2012

Much More Than Word Play

The power of the written word is richly evident in the blogs I follow. I am continually amazed how each author's distinctly chosen words allow thoughts and emotions to be expressed so clearly. I often feel deeply connected to authors I have never met or that I am finally really getting to know an old friend.

Every once in a while my attention gets pulled away from the blog world, but I always get drawn back in.

During November my husband's identical twin brother was diagnosed with a malignant brain tumor. My sister-in-law Anne, who is generally a quiet and private person, began a blog to keep family and friends appraised of his condition and treatment. What I expected was status updates. What she delivered was a deep look into her beautiful soul. Rather than providing quick reports, she is allowing us to experience this journey with her. Her honest and inspiring posts have been revealing to the core and I admire her more than ever.

Another favorite example that I have mentioned before is Liv Lane's blog. I knew Liv as a child, but it has been at least 20 years since I last saw her in person. Yet, through her blog I feel like she is welcoming me into her home. Liv's positive spin on life and thoughtful commentary always leave me with a cozy feeling.

Just as the written word helps me feel more connected to others, I find it also helps me feel better connected with myself. When I stay away from my writing too long I feel like something is missing.

Writing is mindfulness for me.

With that realization, I've decided to make my writing more of a priority with greater intention behind it. And who better to turn to for inspiration than Liv Lane! I just started Liv's online course, Build A Blog You Truly Love, and what a treat it is to be devoting energy to this! I am looking forward to six weeks of digging deep and building connections through words. Here I go...

No comments:

Post a Comment