Thursday, September 17, 2009

It's Daddy Time!

I never expected to be the one working parent in a household of five, but you roll with the punches in life and - with a good attitude - it all works out.

I actually think it is pretty cool that my husband gets to spend this special time with our two-year-old son while I’m at work and the girls are at school. He is potty training the little guy (yippee!) and yesterday they spent the whole morning at the hockey rink together.

BUT (a big but), sometimes it is really hard to be the one at work missing out on all the kid stuff. This week I have been seeing my children an average of two hours per day, and that is mostly filled with homework, bath time, etc.

Last night it all came down on me when I went to put my boy down to bed and his response was “I want daddy! Why don’t you just go to work, mom!” My heart broke in two. Clearly I’m not the only one who has noticed the role reversals in our house.

I’m trudging on, but I don’t think I’ll ever forget that moment. At least I can use it to remind me to make the most of every single minute I do have with him. I can’t have the quantity right now, so I’m going to go for the quality – big time!

No comments:

Post a Comment