Sunday, September 20, 2009

Fitting Good Food Into Little Time

In my dream life I have a personal chef. He whips up perfectly delicious and nutritious meals for the family and there are always readily available healthy snacks when we need them.

Realty: As I write this I am eating a pre-made frozen lasagna out of a plastic tray that I just zapped with radiation. Mmmmm. I try not to make a habit out of this, but we are a beyond busy family and we usually eat what is easiest to grab. The trick is making sure the most accessible food is actually satisfying and good for us, so we’ve been working a lot on meal planning in our house lately.

We’ve found that the key to healthy, happy eating is involving the kids in the planning. Kids always enjoy food more when they feel like they had a hand in it. I don’t bring the kids to the grocery store with me (so I can stick to a list), but we do sit down together to prepare the shopping list.

Although it may sound like more work to involve the kids, it eliminates any arguments or decisions at meal times – and the kids love to be part of it. In the end, by planning together we end up with more time around the table enjoying the food together.

Additionally, we’ve been doing more to encourage the kids to take an interest in their personal nutrition. My five-year-old daughter really likes to eat and wasn’t blessed with a fast metabolism – it was quickly evident that we needed to help her make smart decisions at a young age or she could be plagued with weight struggles and potential health issues for life.

I’ve found the best tool to use with the kids is the good old fashioned Food Pyramid from the United States Department of Agriculture. The government-run website www.mypyramid.gov offers a tremendous amount of valuable information, including printables that you can hang right on your fridge for the kids to see every time they are choosing a snack. Tools and information vary by age group, so you can find the best suited resources for your family.

We refer to the Food Pyramid when planning our grocery lists and selecting our daily food choices. The kids enjoy the challenge of meeting the goals established on the Pyramid (which can be customized by person on the website):

Grains
Make half your grains whole
Eat 6 oz. every day

Vegetables
Vary your veggies
Eat 2 ½ cups each day

Fruits
Focus on Fruits
Eat 2 cups every day

Milk
Get your calcium-rich foods
Get 3 cups every day

Meat & Beans
Go lean with protein
Eat 5 ½ oz. every day

I guess the Food Pyramid is all just common sense. But really, common sense is what healthy eating is all about – natural food from the earth is always going to be healthier than food manufactured by humans. Still, it is nice to have the Pyramid’s system to follow – especially for the kids.

I am absolutely tickled when my kids say things like “mom, you need to add a protein to my lunch” or “I don’t think we’ve had enough orange vegetables this week.” Such good little stewards of health! Lucky they’re not here right now to witness this microwaved lasagna.

No comments:

Post a Comment