Thursday, September 24, 2009

Farm Fresh

I feel really lucky to live and work where I have easy access to working farmland, orchards and robust farmers markets. Three seasons a year I have access to the freshest of locally grown vegetables and fruit. I hardly have to go to the grocery store and it is so easy to get the kids to make healthier food choices.

I work in downtown Minneapolis, where every Thursday the Minneapolis Farmer’s Market spans several blocks down Nicollet Mall. Each week I ride the bus home with a big bag full of seasonal goodness to kick off the weekend well.

Today I picked up a ton of gorgeous sweet corn, crisp green beans and some beautiful ripe tomatoes. My mouth is watering just thinking about the barbeque we’ll have tomorrow! I also picked up some fresh catnip as a treat for my kitties. Is it wrong that I supply drugs for my animals?

On the weekends we like to get the kids involved when we can. We spent last Sunday at Whistling Well Farm picking apples fresh from the trees and running around with the resident dog and chickens. It was such a wonderful way to relish the beautiful autumn afternoon and we went home with bags of delicious souvenirs to enjoy through the week. I can’t wait for prime Honeycrisp season to start in two weeks!

I am filling my body (and my freezer) with all the fresh goodness I can while the getting is good. Squash and pumpkins next – YUM!

No comments:

Post a Comment