Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Footsteps Worth Following

I’m thinking about my grandma today. Well, I think about her everyday, but today she is especially on my mind because after listening to the baseball game with her on Sunday night, I am missing her and wanting more…

My grandma Gen (my namesake) is 96 years old and she continues to be a shining example of how to live life well. She is fortunate to still have the good health that enables her to live in her own home – the place where she raised my mom and where she held my grandpa when he died 17 years ago.

In the last few years she has started to noticeably slow down (naturally), but yet we are always greeted with cookies on the kitchen table and the candy dishes are always stocked. Not that we need the sweets, but they exemplify her welcoming personality.

I love to watch my kids interact with her – separated by two generations, yet the connection is just as strong. There is no hesitancy in their hugs and kisses for great grandma. Why would there be? She is simply wonderful.

Over the years – since I’ve been old enough to recognize how truly special my grandma is – I’ve paid attention to how she lives her life to the fullest.

She has fun – I am smiling thinking of some of the fun times we’ve had together. Just a few years back grandma acted out “Dirty Dancing” in a game of charades in her dining room. I remember how hard she laughed when she realized that the curtains were open and the neighbors may have seen. And I’ll never forget when we went to see the movie Titanic and she loudly told me in the quiet of the theater that she would have done the same thing as Monica Lewinski if she had the chance! I really could go on and on about how fun my grandma is. When she skips a party she is always greatly missed.

She is active – My grandma still goes out to get her hair done every week and does her own grocery shopping. She plants flowers and keeps her house up. Of course she has some help now, but she doesn’t sit back – she is still involved in everything and wouldn’t have it any other way. Up until she stopped driving a couple years back, she drove the “old ladies” to church every Sunday (I think they were about 15 years younger than her).

She has strong relationships – My grandma has a lot of friends who visit and call – and it’s not just to check up on her. She has clearly invested considerable effort to her relationships over the years and there are so many of us who keep her in the front of our minds all the time. Sometimes I can’t reach her for hours because I get a busy signal every time I dial.

She eats well – It is all about balance. My grandma eats small amounts throughout the day. She likes sweets, but doesn’t have too many. She enjoys a strong drink now and then. She has always watched her weight and she doesn’t eat many processed foods. The bottom line is she takes care of herself.

She keeps her mind sharp – The newspaper is read cover-to-cover every day and she watches at least two news casts regularly. She asks me about if I’ve been to new restaurants and she is often the one catching me up on the latest happenings around town. She still votes in every election and she makes up her own mind about who she is choosing and why – and she’s not afraid to try to influence your opinion! She also tells wonderful stories from throughout her life. I am always amazed by the details she remembers – the names of people and places and the years when things happened. Her stories never grow old.

She is spiritual – My grandma has never been preachy, but she is solid in her beliefs and practices them. She finds peace in being guided by a higher power. She is very centered.

Cleary the way my grandma has chosen to live her life has had an impact on the quality of life she’s enjoyed. In the book “The Blue Zone: Lessons for Living Longer From People Who Have Lived the Longest,” author Dan Buettner shares similar stories as examples of lives well lived. It is an interesting walk through several different cultures and how they have practiced certain principles that have led to long healthy lives. Since publication in 2008, many people – even whole communities – have followed the lead as part of the Blue Zones Vitality Project. It is exciting to see this growing focus on healthy living.

When I read the book when it was first released, it immediately made me think of my grandma. How blessed I am to have grown up with her as my role model!

I love you, grandma.

4 comments:

  1. HI, I love your post about your gramdma I just left my grandmas house and I miss her already as well. My grandmother only 84 is starting to slow down alot and my mom and her other 7 siblings are thinking about putting her in a nursing home right next store to where she lives now and were most of the family lives. While it probably is the best it breaks my heart because she raised me and my siblings, I wish I had more time to take care of her. Her heart and mind are so young but her body is old it makes me want to take better care of myself now. I wish I knew enough to take care of her better when she was younger. Thanks for listening :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. In response to the post above, I know how hard it is to watch grandmas age. Your grandma is lucky to have someone who loves her so much! Thanks for your comment and take care!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hit next and landed on your blog. What a beautiful post. Thank you. It makes me want to kiss my grandma and be a better person at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is wonderful, Jen. So glad I found it!

    ReplyDelete