Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Enter Stage Light

I consider myself an optimist, but winter is one thing I have a hard time seeing the bright side of. Because of the darkness.

I work full time in a cubicle with no windows, so winter means I only see the sun on weekends. About 20 hours a week of daylight - down from over 50 in the summer.

Experience has taught me that embracing the dark and cold just isn't going to happen, so I don't even try any more. I've found a source of light besides the sun to help nurture my starving soul through the winter months - the Twin Cities fabulous arts scene.

There is always something new to see, to hear, to experience, to learn. It's almost worth the sacrifice of being shut in.

And you really don't need to spend a lot of money to get a full dose of culture. You can enjoy an entire season of the arts for about the cost of one snowmobile suit!

My family kicked off the dark season with November's free first Saturday event at the Walker Art Center. We helped build a reflective sculpture, explored the exhibits, and rocked out with The Commandos. We were even blessed with some sunshine for running around the Sculpture Garden.

It's days like these that make me thankful that I share my hometown with Target Corporation headquarters. The retail monster sponsors regular free events at all of the major museums and even offers free family shows at Orchestra Hall (available on a lottery basis).

Speaking of orchestra, the Saint Paul Chamber Orchestra offers a fabulous deal for young adults called Club2030. It allows us non-traditional patrons (I assume that's how the under-40 crowd is classified) to purchase best available seats to any show for only $10.

Community theater is another superb option for affordable entertainment. During November I took my daughters to an outstanding high school production of The Music Man, as well as Fiddler on the Roof at Phipps Theater in Hudson, WI. I have already purchased tickets for the whole family to see Click, Clack, Moo: Cows That Type at Stages Theatre in Hopkins this spring - I am SO excited to see one of our favorite kids books on stage!

Of course, when I can swing it I still love to make it to the Broadway-quality productions that frequent the cities and the Tony-winning Children's Theatre Company, but I have to stick with what the budget allows. Sometimes great deals, like two-for-ones, are available and I am always keeping my eyes open.

Last month I also had a chance to escape to First Ave for the Mason Jennings show. I love to see a local act becoming so successful. Mason's new album, Blood of Man, is phenomenal live. (He's coming again in December - just saying...)

The Twin Cities has a constant stream of awesome bands flowing through town, most of which you can catch for under $20. Sometimes it almost seems like robbery the shows are so good. Although, I will admit that I splurged and bought U2 tickets as a little early Christmas gift to myself. Occasionally you just have to drop the bucks. And I figure anticipation is half the fun, so I will get my money's worth just by having to wait until June for the show!

I'm glowing a little just thinking about it.

1 comment:

  1. This is great, Jen. I always intend to do many of these things and then the darkness slows me down and I don't get around to it. Part of my therapy this winter is going to be to remember this post and some day when I just feel like holing up in my jammies instead get the kids (and myself of course) out on the town! :-)

    ReplyDelete