Sunday, December 6, 2009

Kitty Bliss

I am watching my cat dozing by the window, lazily tossing his tail from side to side as if in response to pleasant thoughts. His tabby coat glistens pure gold in the afternoon sun that heats the glass he rests against. His fat tummy slowly rises and falls as he breathes in, out, in, out, in, out. So relaxed. So at peace.

I wonder what, if anything, he’s thinking about. Is he day dreaming about chasing small prey through the back of our wooded lot? Is he remembering the good rubdown I gave him last night? Is he basking in the thrill of victory after his morning spat with his sister?

Sometimes I am envious of his leisurely life. No responsibility. No obligations. Would I be bored? Is he bored? If only I had the chance to know.

The fact that he has caused me to pause and think about this at all makes me smile. He’s reminded me, even if only for the moment, to slow down, exhale and enjoy. One minute of pure kitty bliss.

No comments:

Post a Comment