Thursday, January 7, 2010

And, Oh Yeah, I'm Married


Today while I ate lunch at my desk I jotted down a little list of my favorite memories from 2009. It included many wonderful things like my BWCA wilderness adventure, meeting my celebrity idol, my daughter starting kindergarten, my 35th birthday bash, et cetera, et cetera.

When I first read my list I was all aglow with warm remembrances. But quickly I was stunned to notice that none of my special moments included my husband! I mean, he was there at my party and my kids' events, but they really weren't memories of us as a couple.

Sadly, when I look back on my times with my husband last year they primarily include things like job loss, financial planning, and how-do-we-tell-the-kids discussions. There were none of the vacations and special couples moments that punctuated years past.

We let everything else come first.

I guess I felt it without realizing it, but I'm glad I'm recognizing it now. I refuse to fall into this trap.

I'm going to put some intention into recognizing what happened last year and making some changes. Nice timing that Elizabeth Gilbert's new book "Committed" is just hitting the shelves - I think reading this multi-generational exploration of marriage will help keep my focus where I want it.

This July marks our 10-year wedding anniversary and I'm deciding right now that it is going to be a year-long celebration above all else.

Love you, hon.

3 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your upcoming tenth anniversary. Build an even stronger marriage through Marriage Encounter: http://www.marriages.org

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you have fond memories of the Boundary Waters!

    http://www.bwcaboard.com
    http://www.BoundaryWatersCanoeArea.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great post, Jen. I totally know what you mean and love your intention about your relationship. I may have to check out that book. (The photo is stunning, btw.) See you soon.

    :-)

    ReplyDelete