Thursday, January 21, 2010

One Small Change: Water

Finding a great blog is like making a new friend – as I read each post and discover all of the fresh thoughts and ideas, my mind and soul are filled up in such a delightful way. This week I was introduced to http://www.yogurtandgranola.blogspot.com/, which is authored by a childhood friend of mine named Catherine (Katie, in my mind). I was particularly excited about her post, One Small Change.

The One Small Change project is the brainchild of Hip Mountain Mama (another blog I am thrilled to have just found). In Hip Mountain Mama's words:

"We want to challenge each of you to make one change each month leading up to Earth Day (April 22, 2010). It can be small or it can be huge, but all we ask is that you decide on something you will do to make a positive green impact and follow through with it. If everyone makes four changes between January and April, this can have a huge effect."

I am proud to join Catherine and the hundreds of others who have taken on this challenge. What a perfect fit for my commitment to “be change” this year.

Last night I spent some time thinking about what my first “small change” should be. There wasn't an obvious area of improvement that struck me - we are far from perfect, but we do a pretty good job with environmental conservation in our house. Then it came to me while I was brushing my teeth – with the water running (I shamefully admit).

My one small change for January is turning off the water while I brush my teeth.

I am very embarrassed about this. I’m quite aware that turning off the water while brushing falls into the water conservation 101 category. But, I guess I have been slacking, so now is the time to make this change for good.

Water conservation is an area where we are running out of room for error. I think this concept is sometimes hard for people to grasp because it seems there is water everywhere. But although roughly 70% of the earth is covered with water, only 2.5% of that is fresh, and much of the fresh water is frozen. That leaves just 0.5% of the world’s water as accessible fresh water. And that is depleting by the minute.

The World Bank forecasts that by 2035, more than one-third of the world’s population will be at risk of living in severely water-stressed areas. What does that mean for our children?

I really need to turn off the water when I brush my teeth.

We all need to do that and a whole lot more.

It is encouraging for me to see that some large corporations are dedicated to being part of the solution. I am happy to report that RBC, the parent of the company I work for, has committed $50 million over 10 years for endeavors dedicated to water conservation, watershed protection, access to clean drinking water and other water-related issues.

Locally, I was excited to learn that Minnesota-based Pentair Inc. is building and donating a system to collect, filter, and re-use rain water at Target Field, the new home of the Minnesota Twins. Target Field will require half the water it would have used without this system. It will be the first of its kind in a Major League Baseball stadium – way to set an example, Minnesota!

They are doing their part and I will do mine.

What will your one small change be?

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for the links and the ideas...now I need to figure out my change.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this is great. So often, we're made to feel like we have to make huge, sweeping changes in our lives to make any kind of impact. Turning off the water while brushing is simple but powerful. I think I'm going to try to take shorter showers. If you ask my husband, they are entirely too long! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great ideas . . . you've definitely got me thinking . . . :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for joining One Small Change! I think your first change of turning off the water while brushing is a great idea! I am also guilty of slacking on the basic 101 eco friendly deals from time to time. It is good to have little reminders here and there! Thanks again and I look forward to hearing how it goes!
    by the way, I LOVE your blog header!
    Suzy

    ReplyDelete