Monday, January 25, 2010

My Rockin' City

To the outside world, the Twin Cities probably looked like a pretty miserable place to live this weekend. Nothing but cold, gray rain.

Day one of the ick was the perfect excuse to hide in the blankets by the fire and watch a flick with my honey and my kids.

Day two I relied on my winter survival strategy - we escaped to the fifth-annual Rock The Cradle event, hosted by The Current. If you aren't familiar with The Current, you have to check it out (you can stream live on the web from anywhere). It is the Twin Cities' unique public radio station that plays awesome local and indie rock along with some classic favorites. Once you switch to The Current, commercial radio is never the same.

The event brought together thousands of families at the Minneapolis Institute of Arts and the Children's Theatre Company for a disco dance party, musical instrument petting zoo, hands-on art creation, puppetry, live performances and more.

At first we were all a little overwhelmed by the huge crowd, but it soon dispersed some - plus we realized that the museum exhibits served as a wonderful meditative zone between the organized activities.

My daughters especially loved getting to try out a variety of string and percussion instruments, which were provided by the MacPhail Center For Music. I think the highlight for me was identifying all the animals in a huge clay Noah's Ark with my two-year-old son. His only disappointment was that we couldn't bring it home.

The day turned out to be a wonderful mix of fun community activities, quiet walls of art, and quality time with my family.

When we were walking out at the end of the day my husband turned to me and said, "We are so lucky to live in this city."

I couldn't agree more.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a great time, Jen! How do you find out about all these cool events?

    ReplyDelete