Friday, January 1, 2010

Time For Change

For the past few months I have featured this quote from hostage survivor, Ashley Smith, in the header of my blog:

"Life is full of beauty. Notice it. Notice the bumble bee, the small child, and the smiling faces. Smell the rain, and feel the wind. Live your life to the fullest potential, and fight for your dreams.”

I chose that quote for the sentiment of noticing beauty. I believe that taking the time to recognize all of the wonder of the world around us truly adds so much pleasure to life.

But, as I’ve sat back and thought about it, I really don’t think that’s what living a lovely life is all about. I would like to do a whole lot more than just notice beauty.

So, as we move into a new year and a new decade, I have changed my featured quote to a favorite of mine from Mahatma Gandhi:

“Be the change you want to see in the world.”

Now, there’s a lot of change I would like to see in the world and being that I am the breadwinner for a family of five with young children, I am not even going to try to put it all on my shoulders. (Read: no peace rally organization in the near future.) But, I believe there is much that I can do to influence the immediate world around me – namely my family, home, community and environment.

This isn’t a new philosophy – it’s just fine tuning – but I thought this calendar milestone was a good time to put it in writing.

For 2010, I will place my focus on ENJOYING, CREATING and BEING part of the beauty in the world as I continue to live by my mantra: It’s a journey, but I’m choosing to live lovely.

1 comment:

  1. It's amazing to me how many people don't even NOTICE beauty around them. But once we get good at noticing it, we want to be part of it, and then we want to start creating it...which you are. Bravo! :)

    ReplyDelete