Monday, January 11, 2010

What is the Cost?

Only after the last tree has been cut down.
Only after the last river has been poisoned.
Only after the last fish has been caught.
Only then will you find that money cannot be eaten.

-Cree Indian Prophecy

I don’t want this blog to become the annoying activist type, but I write what I am thinking about and those are the types of issues on my mind today. I am continually troubled by the senseless decisions that our government, most companies, and even my own family (including myself) make because of money.

I find myself repeatedly making choices that are against my principles simply because of the price tag. Just yesterday I filled my fridge with three bags of non-organic produce because of the cost savings. Smart, many would say, because my disposable income is limited. But is it really? What will be the price later of saving a few dollars now?

The cost may be a lot more than money.

First, of course, I have the health of my family to consider. At what point are the chemicals too many? Can I not save money somewhere else so I can put pure food into my children’s bodies? In logical terms the answer seems obvious.

Looking outside my household, what price are we paying when we support the companies that produce these foods? These factory farms are contaminating our environment and squeezing out the small farmers who we want to support. It is the factory farms that are making fresh food unaffordable. The organic farmers are forced to raise prices in order to stay alive and compete.

And I’m just talking produce here. Dig into the issues of processed food and the meat industry and the discussion gets much more scary and complex.

I could spend many hours researching and writing on this topic, but it makes me too sick and worried so instead I will refer to the those who have already done the work. Watch the documentary Food, Inc. Here's the trailer.
I'm thinking its never before been so important to put my money where my mouth is.

2 comments:

  1. It is like you read my mind, Jen. Have not seen Food, Inc., but I think I'm going to have to. Shop Guy became a vegetarian a few years ago after watching a PETA special in the middle of the night. Came up to bed at 3AM and said he was done eating meat. In the same vein, we almost always try to by organic, fair trade, free range. The financial costs are high but as you point out, the alternative costs are higher.

    Thanks for a great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. First of all I DID NOT KNOW YOU WERE BLOGGING! NIIICE! Second of all, I watched Food, Inc. about a month ago and totally know what you're talking about. It renewed my resolve to buy local and organic. Weird, but I just posted about something similar today. Love ya!

    ReplyDelete